Monday, May 29, 2006

Our Early Anniversary

I was given a bit of a chutti (short holiday) last weekend. I got both Friday and Saturday off! This is nearly unheard of here at this agency. We went to Mahabipuram- yes again, because we were only there for 25 mins last time. And, then we went to Pondicherry- a small area of Tamil Nadu that was formerly held by the French. Yeah, they were here too, along with the Portuguese and the Britsh. After Pondicherry, we drove 20 mins to the weird hippy convent known as Auroville. What a strange, strange place.

Mahabalipuram




This was a great place. We had an excellent time! It was hot, but worth it. All the stuff there was carved out huge peices of stone. And peopel are still studying this art. You can hear the artisans chiseling away throughout the day. the make tons of sculptures, big and small, humans and animals, gods and computers, and gods with computers.





The Shore Temple and the beach were wonderful. It was so hot there, but the temple was so cool. There was a sea breeze that blew through the temple. I sat there for few minutes admiring the carvings, studying the erosion and drying my sweaty clothes. It was all good, till I heard the bats. I ran out, only to start sweating, again.



Pondy & Auroville


Pondy was great, and a must visit if anyone comes to South India. The roads are “rues” and the food is well, cheesy. I ordered a shrimp crepe for breakfast- and I got something a little different. I did get a crepe- and Tamilians get crepes—they’re just egg dosas—but they don’t get cheese. In my crepe was a brick of Brie made into a white cream sauce. It was a little too rich for the baby and me, but my watermelon juice was delicious! Too bad I’m preggy and can’t do my annual watermelon cleanse. It wouldn’t be so bad here. We went to the beach; shopped a little, saw some churches and a temple. It was nice, it reminded me of Goa, but French.



Once we finished up in Pondy, we left for Auroville. This is a weird place, where the white people go and live. I was thrilled, crazed perhap, to be there- I am such a counter-culture junkie!





The white people all live there and maintain the matrimandir (mother’s temple), which is a done that looks like "biosphere meets weird Nasa project." They show videos of the thing all day long, as they do not allow very many people to go there and visit. Alternatively, at least they make it really difficult. They have a lot of hippy gear that they try to sell. The white people, who live there, act as if they make the stuff, but really its all the poor people who live along the road on the way to the Auroville complex. They live in shacks and make stuff all day long for the weirdo aurovillians to sell. I don’t know how much money they get. In either case, I was crazy and bought a great bag. It says made is Auroville. That’s why I bought it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home